Tuesday 31 December 2013

A hopeful 2014

I don't really have new year's resolutions.  I feel that if there's something I really want to do or change, then I should do so at any time of the year.

I also find the new year period a bit disheartening.  I've made it through a full 365 days only to be rewarded with... another year.

I'd like there would be some kind of prize for passing 31 December, like bonus FlyBuys points, a lucky bamboo plant or something like that.

So while I haven't scribbled out a list of resolutions, I do have six hopes for the year ahead.

Some of these hopes are things I can make a reality, while others are in the hands of the universe (or people much further up the food chain than me!).


1.  I hope for inspiring leaders
The recent passing of Nelson Mandela made me reflect on that fact that there seems to be a shrinking list of inspirational world leaders.  People who make you feel as though they are fighting for the greater good and someone you might actually put your faith and trust in.   It could just be the aftertaste of the Australian federal election in 2013, but it seems like the more recent crop of leaders are really just bookkeepers who don't have much vision to offer.   After all, aren't good leaders supposed to unite rather than divide?




2.  I hope not to see Miley Cyrus' pubic mound or bum anymore
We get it Miley, if you flash a bit more flesh, you'll sell a few more downloads.  You're not the first and you won't be the last to try this trick.   Some of us remember Madonna's Sex book - something even she's not too proud of these days.   I don't mind Miley's music, but that really took a back seat in 2013 while she showed us her backside.   To me she is simply the latest representation of the uber trivial (but which seems to gain so much media space and demand so much of our attention).   Meanwhile, Keeping Up With the Kardashians Season Eight is now available on DVD.   There seems to be about seven things wrong with that last sentence.

Not a picture of Miley

3.  I hope for more work/life balance
The start of the new year can feel like the worst time.  After the "honeymoon" of January, I sometimes feel as though there's a big, long year staring back at me.  It can seem equally overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.  I'm sure we could all do with some more work/life balance, but how do we actually do that?  For me, travel, running and even this blog are some of the ways I steal a bit of time for myself, but I'm always open to new ideas!

Everyone needs to take time out

4.  I hope to meet a nice car salesperson
No, this isn't my EHarmony dating request.  After 15 years, I'm contemplating replacing my Hyundai Excel.  While the car still hums along (a little bit louder humming these days), I have been eyeing off a few of the newer models.  These ones don't have a tape player like the Excel, but do come with remote locking, electric windows and all the other dodads.  I've encountered a few car sales people of late and it makes me want to keep driving the Excel for another 15 years.  The lies, games and theatrics they go on with make it all seem too hard.
Calling on all divine powers to point me to an honest car salesperson

5.  I hope for a bit more empathy, equality and progression
I've never been massively political, but the global moment towards marriage equality is a source of hope and frustration.   In 1902, Australia was the first country in the world to give women both the vote in federal elections and the right to be elected to parliament.  As a young nation we seemed to have started strongly with a bold statement about freedom, equality and rights, but have since lost our way.  Our stance on marriage equality, Aboriginal recognition and rights, immigration and refugees isn't one that's exactly something to boast about.  Politicians say there are more "pressing matters" to focus on, such as debt reduction and taxation reform.  Really?  Does living with a surplus trump equality and fairness every time?
Stepping forward rather than backwards in 2014

6.  I hope for health and happiness for me and for you
If none of the above comes to pass during the next 12 months, it will still be a great year if we have health and happiness on our side.  Strap yourself in, 2014 is about to begin!

Like Mickey says

No comments:

Post a Comment